What is RockWire?
Enjoy stunning views and an adrenaline rush as you traverse the highest peak of Mt Buller. An Australian-first, RockWire is a guided climb along a secure route exploring the Summit’s west face over a series of fixed anchors, steel cables, ladders, bridges and other features such as steps and handholds. You’re securely hooked onto cables and lead by an experienced guide using a harness and special lanyards for safety. People with various levels of climbing experience can enjoy the thrill of high-altitude exploration while minimising the risks associated with traditional climbing.
It’s based on a Via Ferrata, which means “iron way”, and originated in Italy to help soldiers cross treacherous mountains during World War 1. It’s now a common alpine activity across Europe and North America, and Mt Buller is excited to bring this unique adventure experience to Mt Buller.
For more information about RockWire, head directly to their website here.
How it works
You will embark on an exhilarating adventure with RockWire by traversing the scenic west face of the Summit. Your skilled guide will help you navigate the route, ensuring your safety with specialised cables and lanyards equipped with secure carabiners. Access to the route is exclusively granted to tours with a RockWire guide. It will take about 3 hours to complete the experience; from first meeting, gearing up, climbing and returning. This timing includes a hike along the rocky ridge of the summit to get to and from the climbing route.
Who is it for?
RockWire is for those looking for an adventure, especially people who are comfortable with heights. You don’t need to have climbing experience, but a reasonable level of fitness is required to climb, enjoy and move along the route. You will need to be able to climb short but steep hikes and climb a ladder with ease.
To participate, you must be:
- at least 120cm tall
- within the range of 40kg to 120kg
If you have questions about whether it's for you - just ask us and wherever possible we'll offer a safe and fun climb for everyone.
What to Bring
The mountains are known for sudden weather changes, so come prepared for all sorts of weather - often in the same day!
Water proof jacket
Shoes with good tread (hiking boots are ideal)
Explore the route
There is currently one route ready to go along the west face of the Summit of Mt Buller. More routes are planned and being built right now!
To access the route, your guide will take you to the Summit and lead you along the west ridge to the start of the route. This is a grade 3 hike.
Route 1 is the easiest option and perfect for your first time on the Via Ferrata. This route traverses along two main rock bands. It has two wire bridges and one ladder to help you scale the exposed west face and get your blood pumping! The Delatite Valley 1000m below is beautiful and spectacular and creates the sense of a true alpine adventure. RockWire has a continual cable system – once you are safely hooked on you can’t come off until you finish - so you can enjoy the journey knowing you are safe!
What to expect
As you embark on this alpine adventure, here's what you can look forward to:
- Meet your guide 30 minutes before your booked time at Altitude retail shop in the Village Square at your booked time. Gear up and receive your safety equipment (harness and helmet and more), and check you have everything you need (see the above checklist). Your guide will explain safety and how to behave on the route. This is the perfect time for questions.
- Shuttle up to the summit car park. Everyone will board the RockWire bus up to the start of the hike.
- Hike to the beginning of the RockWire route. This is not a stroll, it's about a grade 3 hike and is a good 25 minutes of steep hiking up a 1.2km rocky and exposed ridge - the views and heights will really get you feeling what it will be like on the cliff! It is high, steep, very rocky and the perfect warm-up for a Via Ferrata climb.
- Reach the start of the Via Ferrata route: you will be shown how to use your equipment on the route and get started climbing.
- Climb along the route.
- Length: 400M
- Start point altitude: 1722M
- Lowest point altitude: 1644M
- Hike back down to the summit car park and be shuttled back to Altitude shop in the Village Square for hi-fives and celebrations of your daring feat of heights!
Route 1 is approximately 3+ hours of climbing
Morning Session: 8.30am to 12.30pm (includes gearing up)
Afternoon Session: 1.00pm to 5.00pm (includes gearing up)
Group Tour Session Prices
Private Tour Session Prices (Private Guide)
|Up to 4 people
RockWire is ideally suited for schools and groups seeking team-building and adventure. Our guides will tailor a climb to suit your group and abilities – contact us directly at email@example.com with your request for a quote and booking availability.